I just got back from my vet a few hours ago who determined that my cat has a large abdominal tumor, says it's definitely advanced and combined with other symptoms (loss of appetite - I could only get her to eat about a tablespoon of wet food this morning - fever and listlessness) is recommending I have her euthanized. She's a holistic/homeopathic vet whom I trust, even made an appointment for me to take her in to a regular veterinary hospital to have some x-rays done to confirm her diagnosis. I decided to cancel the x-ray appointment for now because my cat didn't do well on the car ride home, pooped in her carrying case and then threw up the little bit of tuna I was able to feed her when we got home.
I'm hesitant for a few reasons - about 7 years ago my now 16 year old cat was diagnosed with a peritoneal pericesdial diaphragmatic hernia - a ripped diaphragm which has allowed some of her lower internal organs to shift into the upper cavity. Everything had solidified and was ok by the time the vet she had then discovered it, but it was originally diagnosed as a tumor mass around her heart. She turned out to be fine and was able to live with it without any problems, and my current vet knew about it and had seen her before these recent developments. The vet now is assuring me that my cat is very ill and dying and that I should have her euthanized, I'm inclined to agree with her except that my cat's symptoms at home aren't very severe. She has lost weight and isn't interested much in playing but is still affectionate and doesn't seem to be in much pain. Her decrease in appetite started about a week and a half ago.
I'm not sure exactly what I want out of posting here - I don't want to have her undergo treatment for the tumor, she's lived a long and healthy life despite what I call her "scrambled egg" condition. She's also not able to have anethesia due to it - that's how it was originally discovered, she was given some in order to treat an abcess but had a severe, painful reaction and almost stopped breathing. I have a message in to my vet now about that, I'm not sure how that would effect being able to have her put to sleep... I guess if anyone has had a cat with this rare condition could offer advice it would be appreciated.
To top it all off it's coming up on the anniversary of my mother's death just a few years ago. I helped her go through severe treatments for two types of cancer and in the end had to decide to take her off of life support. If we'd known ahead of time how bad off she was I probably wouldn't have let the doctors run as many tests and wait as long as we did to let her die. It's a big part of the reason why I got into holistic medicine and had been taking my cat to an holistic vet, I really value quality of life over extending it at any cost. I don't want this to color my decision for my cat though, and of course there's also cost issues... I think when I end up figuring this out I'm going to need the money to get into therapy!
1 2
my cat's symptoms at home aren't very severe. She has lost weight and isn't interested much in playing but is still affectionate and doesn't seem to be in much pain. Her decrease in appetite started about a week and a half ago.

I'ld let her go on then. Actually, I'm a bit bothered by the number of posts lately where euthanizing seems to be the very first thing suggested. If nothing else, I'ld get her thoroughly checked out before proceeding, get an opinion by another vet, etc.
CMM
Awww, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It does sound like a hard decision definitely. If it were my cat and she was still acting her normal self, I wouldn't euthanize. But if she were in pain or suffering, I would. Also, I would get a second opinion before euthanizing. Best of luck to you,
Lauren

See my cats: http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe Raw Diet Info: http://www.holisticat.com/drjletter.html http://www.geocities.com/rawfeeders/ForCatsOnly.html Declawing Info: http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm
I really value quality of life over extending it at any cost.

I totally agree.
I don't want this to color my decision for my cat though, and of course there's also cost issues... I think when I end up figuring this out I'm going to need the money to get into therapy!

I'm so sorry about your kitty's tumor, and hope you can find some peace and healing in the near future. I think you are making the right decision, and I would do the same in your shoes.

As for the loss of your Mom - I also lost my Mom two years ago around this time (9-11-01), so I can relate to the bad timing issue (my kitty is sick as well). Despite how much you don't want it to, it does color everything you do. I hope there are brighter days ahead for you.
Take care,
-L.
[nq:1]I guess if anyone has had a cat with this rare condition could offer advice it would be appreciated.
My cat had a cancerous stoumach tumor. I took him to the vet and they said he just had a tummy ache. Next day still vomiting, won't eat, just sitting curled up. I took him back. They said it's still nothing. That night he collapsed. I rushed him to the vet. The night shift vet said it was stoumach cancer. We'd have to wait til morning for the ultrasound. If it was cancer, they suggested euthanasia as the mass was large and his blood counts were off and he was no spring chicken anymore. Next morning it was cancer. We agreed to euthanize. We held him and told him how much we loved him and he left this world purring.

Had I known earlier that it was cancer and he had no hope, I would have called the vet to my home to euthanize, probably would have done it two days earlier before he was really in pain. Here's his last story right from this newsgroup http://www.mary.cc/boots/stories/7.htm
(Email Removed) writes
I just got back from my vet a few >hours ago who...is recommending >I have hereuthanized.

I always suggest that a second vet confirms what the first vet suggests, in cases like this. It's always so hard when we're faced with losing our beloved friends...and it's even more difficult when we go through other personal tragedies at the same time. Good luck to you.
You know what you are asking for, here. Permission to go for a second opinion. You need to do this. If you don't you will always wonder what might have been. You don't have to do drastic treatments if they are mentioned. You will be the one to make that decision. If your cat is comfortable right now and palliative treatment can be provided for a time or just some kind of support that might be the way to go.

Let us know,
Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Thanks for everyone's support - I did get a second opinion and unfortunately it wasn't any different, the tumor was pretty far advanced. Her condition and mood declined severly yesterday, even though she didn't seem to be in much pain she wouldn't eat and didn't want to move from one spot in the apt. With her age and previous condition there wasn't anything anyone could do that would help her in the long or short term, she was going to just waste away.

She went very peacefully, and I was glad to be able to be there and not have to worry about her suffering anymore. Thanks and peace to all - k
I am so sorry for your loss but I'm glad to hear that your kitty went peacefully. I know it was a hard decision for you but I believe ending the suffering of our pets is the kindest thing we can do.

Lauren

See my cats: http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe Raw Diet Info: http://www.holisticat.com/drjletter.html http://www.geocities.com/rawfeeders/ForCatsOnly.html Declawing Info: http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm
Show more