1 2 3 4
Oh she's cute. She looks so tiny on top of the cage :-) Are there any shredable toys in the cage?

lol I found when I still had my lovebird that there was practically nosuch things as non-shredable toys when she ... got it) - a 4" tall M&Mfigure that she used to beat the hell out of, but just couldn't destroy.

What's an M&M figure? It sounds as if it should be made out of chocolate.

Alan
To: "AlanWilliams" (Email Removed) Re: Re: New to lovebirds
By: "AlanWilliams" (Email Removed) to rec.pets.birds on Sat Jun 12 2004 11:04 pm

I collect odd things, see... M&M items are amoung them. I had the lovebird out of the cage one day and she sidled up to a little 4" tall plastic figurine of an M&M guy that I had sitting on the coffee table, squawked once at it, then threw it down and proceed to beat the hell out of it. It was hilarious... She knocked it around the table for a while, then pounced down on it when it fell to the floor, and continued to kick its plastic butt all over the living room.

I gave it to her, in her cage, and it was one of her favorite toys. Any time she was in a surly mood (quite often... she was a moody little one), she'd take her frustrations out on it.
...Ralph Abramo
...In the shuffling madness...
(and they do make a mess, she must mistake this one water bowl as a toilet!!),[/nq]Hi Wendy. Sounds like you got yourself a fascinating little fid there. Just wanted to make a quick comment about the mess in the water dish though. They do that just depends upon where the tail is pointing when they have to poop. You want to make sure you change the water frequently anyway, but especially if you see poop in it. I've even had it where I'd give it fresh water, and not five minutes later: PLOP.

Grr. Time to change it again. I've also had the (expensive) experience of having a bird go sick on me and rushing him to the vet. Diagnosis: poop intake (actually, the bacteria it had most likely came from drinking soiled water). Turns out it would soil its water during the day while I was at work and drink out of it throughout the day.
One solution that works well is a water bottle attached to the side of the cage, and they drink from the spout at bottom. For three of the birds I now have, I was able to successfully convert them to bottles over time. My newest Quaker isn't quite ready for that yet, and I'm always having to change his water a few times a day at least. Thing is, you often have to get them used to the bottle before they dare to drink from it if you switch them cold-turkey, a bird could very easily dehydrate & die from not drinking at all.
There are other solutions besides bottles as well the main issue is that you don't want to let the bird drink water it has pooped in. Won't necessarily mean that it'll definitely kill or even make the bird sick, but increases the chances.
John
(and they do make a mess, she must mistake this one water bowl as a toilet!!),

Hi Wendy. Sounds like you got yourself a fascinating little fid there.Just wanted to make a quick comment about the ... has pooped in. Won't necessarily mean that it'll definitely kill or even make the bird sick,but increases the chances. John

The water bottles are a great idea, and don't they make a covered water and food bowel too? Seems like I have seen them at the stores. Have kind of a dome top to help keep the "stuff" out of the food and water. When I got my Macaw he was trained to use a bottle, bought a nice, expensive one for him. problem was he soon learned that when he was out he could climb around and take it off the cage. . I would imagine with the smaller birds like hers this would not be a problem. That's the one big advantage to the smaller birds. I have never had my Tiel or Conure take anything apart. The Macaw has yet to find anything he could not take apart. Kind of a combination wrench with feathers.LOL

If at first you don't succeed blame someone else and seek counseling.
The water bottles are a great idea, and don't they make a covered waterand food bowel too? Seems like I ... anything apart. The Macaw has yet to find anything he could not takeapart. Kind of a combination wrench with feathers.LOL

Ya know, the first thing I did after sending that message about the poopy water, was to go and change Puppy's (new Quaker) water since he had gotten food in it. I walked into the kitchen & no cheeit, 2 minutes later, he was bathing in the dish & I had to change it again. Grr. Ugly but cute though.
The biggest problem I had with my fids & their bottles was them chewing on the top edge of the bottle. They'd eventually poke a hole in it (plastic, not glass bottle) and next thing you know, the damn thing would empty out in no time flat. An extra plastic top solved that though & haven't had any trouble since.
My sun conure is back on that throwing food kick again every day for the past couple weeks. Looks like it's time to pick up one of those covered food dishes I saw at Pet World.
John
Ya know, the first thing I did after sending that message about thepoopy

water, was to go and change Puppy's (new Quaker) water since he had gotten food in it. I walked into ... couple weeks. Looks like it's time to pick up one of those coveredfood dishes I saw at Pet World. John

LOL!!
When I got my BCC he came with a Quaker. They both loved to take a bath in their water dish, would make a hell of a mess, looked funny as hell watching them trying to get in the dish. The cage they had at that time had a large flat top, so I took an oval serving platter, set it on top of the cage full of water, and the Quaker took right to it. Took the Conure a while, but after seeing the Quaker having so much fun, he decided he would try it. A couple times a week they would get in there and have a great bath.
If at first you don't succeed blame someone else and seek counseling.