Our family was a tad short on funds this year so I decided to go the route of a low-cost clinic this time to spay the feral cat we adopted in August. Our other two cats were spayed by the vet. When I called to make an appointment with the nearest low-cost clinic, they scheduled me two months in advance. Now the cat is 7 months old and in heat with the appointment two weeks away.
Within the past two weeks our financial situation has improved so I do have the option of taking her to the vet without making an appointment. The difference in cost is still significant: $45 for low-cost clinic, $165 for the vet.
We have two other cats, a 5yo male and 3yo female, both neutered. The cats all get along together but aren't the best of friends.

So what is the worst case scenario of my waiting two weeks? I've been reading the archives on this group on heat and I understand females can urinate while in heat. Will a neutered male spray if stressed out too much over a female he can't accommodate? I'm looking for all the pros and cons between waiting or going ahead and fixing her immediately. Thanks.

Noreen
Within the past two weeks our financial situation has improved so I do have the option of taking her to the vet without making an appointment.

I would opt to get her spayed now. You know your vet and the quality of the surgery they do, and your cat will be miserable being in heat. Waiting two more weeks is likely to also frazzle everyone's nerves.;-)

Megan
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com
Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.picturetrail.com/zuzu22
"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way."
- W.H. Murray
Waiting two more weeks is likely to also frazzle everyone's nerves.;-)

I'm not sure if it is the overcast, rainy weather which has her less interested in going outdoors but she hasn't mewed incessantly in a couple of days.
I must admit I used to feel a tad sorry for cats who were deprived of the Joy of Sex but after seeing how hormones take them over so completely, I'm not feeling as sorry for the spays and neuters anymore.

Noreen
Females tend to come into heat promptly at 6 months. Some come into heat even younger (youngest I know of is 3 months). There is no good medical reason not to spay or neuter well before 6 months; shelters have been doing it by 8 weeks for some 20 years now, with no harm done.

If you can get that cat spayed now instead of waiting two weeks, go for it! Cats are coming into season as we speak.
Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org