This is not a joke. But may be humo(u)rous.
While browsing the website of a certain dog show organization, I found the following passage. I've never heard of this before, and express concern for all canines of the urban persuasion should it actually be true.
So: true or false. Post GIF or retract.
"Warning Please read
While walking your dog on the street.
Do not let your dog pee on any light poles or wooden poles with a metal rod running down the side of it.
Your Dog can get electrocuted.
Please pass this info around. "

antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
1 2
This is not a joke. But may be humo(u)rous. While browsing the website of a certain dog show organization, I ... a metal rod running down the side of it. Your Dog can get electrocuted. Please pass this info around. "

Well, all I really know about this sort of thing is that the Myth Busters recently demonstrated that peeing on the third rail of an electric train track cannot electrocute a person. They went to great lengths trying to get it to close the circuit, and even with superhuman (supercanine?) efforts, had no luck.
Katrina
So: true or false. Post GIF or retract. "Warning Please read While walking your dog on the street. Do not ... a metal rod running down the side of it. Your Dog can get electrocuted. Please pass this info around. "

Ummm, this would be false. There is no way that the standards/safety councils anywhere in the world would allow something with electrcity runningthrough it that could be that easily accessed. ALl it would take is one child touching it in a rainstorm, and zapp!! bar-b-child. Not to mention the fact that if there was a rain storm, the water would short out the light pole as soon as there was enough running down the side.

Much like the margarine being one step away from plastic message that went around a couple of years ago, this is a hoax.

Marcel and Moogli
Well, all I really know about this sort of thing is that the Myth Busters recently demonstrated that peeing on ... to great lengths trying to get it to close the circuit, and even with superhuman (supercanine?) efforts, had no luck.

Yes, but a woman in NYC was electrocuted last year while walking her dog, when she stepped on a grate that for some reason was carrying a current.

Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - (Email Removed)

Fibbers' forecasts are worthless
So: true or false. Post GIF or retract. "Warning Please read While walking your dog on the street. Do not ... a metal rod running down the side of it. Your Dog can get electrocuted. Please pass this info around. "

I checked www.snopes.com and found nothing on it. Front page articles in The Boston Globe last year mentioned dangerous grates (the manhole cover over an electrical connection probably for traffic lights) that could electrocute dogs that walk on them in rainy weather. (Humans are normally wearing shoes.) There was a huge effort to inspect every grate for safety. A quick web search yielded this:
http://jsons.collegepublisher.com/news/2004/02/04/Neighborhoods/Dogs-Electrocution.Shocks.Charlestown-608463.shtml
Lia
This is not a joke. But may be humo(u)rous. While browsing the website of a certain dog show organization, I ... a metal rod running down the side of it. Your Dog can get electrocuted. Please pass this info around. "

Sounds like something the pole maintenance crew would like us to believe.Emotion: smile
Margaret
NYC has had at least one person electrocuted while walking a pet over a metal grate. But pee wasn't the problem Con Ed (the power company in NYC) was at fault for not repairing an electric line running beneath the grating.

The dog apparently walked over the grate, was hurt and cried out and the owner (a woman) reached for it to help and was fatally electrocuted.
While walking your dog on the street. Do not let ... Dog can get electrocuted. Please pass this info around. "

Ummm, this would be false. There is no way that the standards/safety councils anywhere in the world would allow something with electrcity runningthrough it that could be that easily accessed.

I tried to find the case, but couldn't. IIRC, it's an urban legend that spawned from an actual incident which involved either the miswiring or damage to a lamp post.

Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Ummm, this would be false. There is no way that the standards/safety councils anywhere in the world would allow something with electrcity runningthrough it that could be that easily accessed.

Ah, but just because the safety standards exist does NOT mean that the equipment has been kept up to code.
I don't have time to find the article just now (I'm on my lunch break) but the Baltimore Sun ran a story just a couple of weeks ago about a couple of dogs getting electrocuted by stepping on a cover plate which should have been safe, but wasn't.
Show more