1. Chocolate, coffee, tea, cocoa

Avoid giving your pet products that contain caffeine and theobromine, such as chocolate, coffee, tea, and cocoa. If your animal ingests too much of these, it can suffer from severe vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, and seizures. Death cases have also been reported.

2. Alcohol

It goes without saying that alcohol should never be given to your pet, even in small quantities. Some people consider intentional giving alcohol to pets to be animal abuse. Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, breathing difficulties, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and death.

3. Onions, garlic, chives

These can cause gastrointestinal irritation and damage red blood cells. The latter can result in anemia. Signs of onion or garlic intoxication include laboured breathing, liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, and discoloured urine.

4. Sugary, salty, spicy, fried, fatty foods

All of these products are unhealthy for people. Obviously, they are unhealthy for animals as well. Moreover, these products are not simply unhealthy but actually toxic for pets because of their much lower weight. A human can eat a certain amount of these foods and be all right, while the same or even less amount ingested by a cat or a dog can cause intoxication and major health problems. The signs of intoxication include vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, seizures, and liver (kidney) failure.

5. Grapes, raisins, avocados

The toxic substance in grapes and raisins is unknown; the toxic substance in avocados is called persin. The signs of intoxication include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, and kidney failure. Death cases have also been reported. Grapes and raisins are also a choking hazard.
Don't panic if your dog or cat has accidentally eaten one of the products listed above. In most cases it won't do much harm, unless your pet has ingested a really large amount. However, you'll need to keep a close eye on your companion to make sure it's doing fine. If you notice any of the symptoms described in the article, take your pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible and tell him what has happened.

Read also:

Dangerous foods for dogs

Dangerous foods for cats